Saturday, April 5, 2008

Building Blocks




One of the most thrilling and challenging aspects of Second Life is being able to create and build. Out of nothing you can create something, although sometimes that something isn't all that great at first. But, as time goes on you get better and better. I still don't like putting structures together or rezzing a flat panel or box but oh boy give me a go at putting textures and colors up and I am in my zone. Let me terraform or put down plants, trees, paint a scenery screen and oh I'm in my element!


But I can't do it alone. I know my limitations :) I know that I am the the accessorizer not the designer. I am the paint, not the brush. It's ok. There's fun in teamwork. Where else but SL could one make a universe all your own, developed in tandem with your partner who is an ocean away?


Peter and I have built a nice world in Inishmore. We've built it up, torn it down, modified and restructured, over and over. And, just when we get it "right" we seem to want to do it a different way.


Why? Because we can...because our synapses fire away, because we get so focused in our designing that we lose track of time, because it's fun, because it's our way to relax. Where else but in Second Life could this be done? Right now that answer is very few places. Soon though, there will be other worlds to build, create and design. Soon, those worlds will invite us to come visit.


And, we will go because we they are there, the same reason why most explorers climb the mountain peaks, trek into forests, dive to the depths of the blue sea or peek into caves. The explorer's mind does not want to stay still in the world they were given. They seek to find something beyond them. Along the way, they also find something within themeselves.

No comments:

A new life has begun! II Cor 5:17

A new life has begun! II Cor 5:17
God's GPS