Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Looking Glass



Second Life is a global village in a fishbowl. Others are observing us from the physical world, the residents in SL are looking at what the other is up to and then there are those who are observing from all angles. I happen to be on all 3 levels which sometimes jiggles my synapses and rattles my soul.

Who is Brielle? Is she the part of me who wanted to be the enterpreneur and never took the risk? But wait, the real me always wanted to be a writer, never a store owner. So, what is that? Perhaps SL opens a window in our psyche and allows us to explore sides of ourselves we never knew existed or were too afraid to try in real life. And, what happens once we seize that opportunity? Does the virtual affect the physical? Do the skills I'm learning and cultivating in SL sneak into my real life professional toolbox?

But, SL also affords me opportunities I'd probably never have in real life, such as writing for CNN and a magazine! How totally cool is that? CNN is based in the real world and in SL it is every bit as "real." Wings of Hope Magazine is based in virtual reality and it's now crossing over into the physical world. Both are real in every sense of the word.

Is SL a total illusion... or does the real world hide behind curtains? Are both worlds merging to form a new sense of reality, overlapping and morphing into a new matrix like version of life?
I wonder if these experiences will cause us to redefine who we are and what is "reality"?
"...Red is grey and yellow white,
But we decide which is right.
And which is an illusion?"

Moody Blues, Late Lament

1 comment:

peter ackland said...

Great insight into what sl has to offer well done Brielle

A new life has begun! II Cor 5:17

A new life has begun! II Cor 5:17
God's GPS